Free School Meals
Free School Meals and Pupil Premium
Children who are eligible for Free School meals receive a daily allowance on their account, currently £2.70 (with effect from 1st November 2023). This amount can only be spent on that day, and cannot be carried over to another day, and is only available at lunch. If your child wishes to purchase items at break time then you should top up the account accordingly. If your child is new to the school the free meal information can take a few days and if you are moving from outside of Nottinghamshire you will have to reapply.
For any student in school who has been registered for free school meals at any point we receive a Pupil Premium grant each year which supplements our normal school funding.
We would encourage you to review the information below which sets out who is eligible, guidance on how to apply and further details about Pupil Premium funding.
- Is my child eligible for free school meals?
- How do I register?
- Free school meals and Pupil Premium funding – What is Pupil Premium funding?
- Pupil Premium Plus funding – who is eligible and what should I do if I think this applies to my child?
- More Information
Your child might be eligible if you access:
- Income Support
- Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance or Employment and Support Allowance
- Support under part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
- The guaranteed element of Pension Credit
- Child Tax Credit (provided you’re not also entitled to Working Tax Credit and have an annual gross income of no more than £16,190)
- Working Tax Credit run-on
- Universal Credit, provided you have an annual net earned income not exceeding £7,400 (£616.67 per month)
Does my child have to eat the free school meals?
No. Students who are registered for free school meals don’t have to eat them. If you’re eligible but you want your child to have packed lunches you should still register because the school will receive the funding which can support your child in other ways.
- You only need to register once at the school.
- The process has been made as straight forward as possible. The online application process takes about fifteen minutes.
- To apply online you will need; an email address, your National Insurance number, basic personal details about you and your child/children.
- Please use the step by step guidance document below to apply online
- Online application guidance
- For other ways to apply please see the NCC guidance below
- NCC guidance document
If your child is eligible for ‘free school meals’ and you register them for this, we’ll receive extra funding called ‘Pupil Premium’ each year. Pupil Premium funding from the government is given to schools to help students reach their full potential, regardless of their background or financial situation. It’s provided for students who:
- Are registered for free school meals
- Have been registered for free school meals at any point in the past 6 years
- Are, or have been, in care
- Have parents in the armed forces
At the Garibaldi School, we get an extra £935 for every eligible student who is registered for free school meals or who has been registered within the last six years in school. This extra money could make a real difference to the quality of education we offer.
For example, we’ve previously used pupil premium funding for:
- Educational provision/resources
- Academic interventions
- Wellbeing and self-esteem building interventions
Pupil Premium Plus funding – who is eligible and what should I do if I think this applies to my child?
Schools are given additional Pupil Premium funding for ‘looked after children’, children who have been adopted from care and children who have left care under a Special Guardianship Order, Residence Order or Child Arrangements Order. This is called the Pupil Premium Plus and is £2300 of additional funding each year for each eligible student.
To clarify, students are eligible if they:
- Have been in local-authority care for 1 day or more in England and Wales
- Have been adopted from care in England and Wales
- Have left care under special guardianship order or residence in England and Wales
Please let the school know if your child meets any of the above criteria, as it is not always the case that schools will have this information unless it is passed on by parents/carers.
Please pass this information to Mrs Jewsbury EJewsbury@garibaldischool.co.uk
If you have any questions or specific concerns or need support with your application for free school meals, please contact Mr Dawson MDawson@garibaldischool.co.uk
In addition you may find the following links useful
- Nova Education Trust Transformational Awards 2023
Outstanding Vision & Strategy Award (Whole School - 04/12/2023)
This week we celebrated... (Whole School - 17/11/2023)
- Year 8 Enrichment
Halloween Tuck Shop (Whole School - 25/10/2023)
- Bounce Forward Healthy Minds
Healthy Minds Programme (Whole School - 10/10/2023)
Year 9 student's short story is published (Whole School - 28/09/2023)